Skip to main content

Birth story...finally!

The last few months have been crazy! As you all know by now, I had my darling little girl.  She came about 7 weeks early on April 25th and has done wonderful every since.  At 33 1/2 weeks my water ended up breaking and I was admitted to the hospital.  Two days later she was brought into the world after emergency c section.  Three weeks later we both got to come home.  She did great.  Never needed help with breathing, just needed to be on BiPAP for a few hours after birth.  Had a little issue with jaundice, but that cleared up after a few days under the light. At birth she weighed 4 pounds and 5 ounces and was 18 inches long.

Me on the other hand did not handle things very well.  My water broke around midnight Friday the 23rd and things progressed very slowly through the weekend.  Sunday evening they decided that I needed to be taken back for a c section.  The c section went well and little miss Elliot came screaming into the world.  It was the greatest sound I have ever heard.  I had a horrible time recovering from the c section and could not make it down to the NICU until that next evening.  I was released from the hospital the following Wednesday and then readmitted late Friday night due to a fever.  I was also majorly swollen, but was told that it was normal after birth.  Everything pretty much snowballed after that.  My c section incision ended up being infected and I had another infection in the fluid that was backed up in my abdomen, which in turn damaged my liver.  After spending 2 more weeks in the hospital I was released and we were able to bring our daughter home the next day. Weeks later, after a follow up appointment with my cardiologist I was told that I suffered from acute congestive heart failure while in the hospital.  I tell everyone that she did better than me in the hospital, which is the honest truth.

All is good now.  I am finally healed up and back to myself.  Elliot is now 3 1/2 months old and 13 pounds.  Looking at her, you would never know she was premature.  She looks very much liker her Daddy and has blue eyes and brown hair like her Mommy.

I knew life would change, but I never understood how much until now.  I wouldn't change it for anything though.

Comments

  1. Congrats! I'm so happy she is home and safe w/ her mommy and daddy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here I am!

Hey everyone! It has been a long while since I have written anything at all. I think I say that each time? Things have gone on, but nothing really worth reporting or should I say nothing that calls for working out through writing to the blog world. The things that stand out on the top of my head begin with my therapist telling me that he is leaving it up to me if I want to continue coming back on a regular basis or not. That happened at the end of June. And I actually had a feeling that it was coming. So, I guess I am "healed" or close right? hah... From the beginning his, or should I say our goal, was to get me "back to the person I was, or as close to it as possible". So, I guess that is where I am today. The next best thing to my prior self. A mommy without a child. A woman that has been to the edge and back. But, I have survived and I am still here. I think that was the point the therapist was trying to make. The next thing is, the death of Michael Jackson, Now,...

11 week bump

It's a little blurry and I kind of posted it late since I'll be 12 weeks tomorrow. And that's not an outtie already!!! It's my shirt I promise!

Hip Dysplasia

At Elliot's 3rd well baby visit her pediatrician discovered a click in her left hip.  He said that it could be nothing, but we should get it checked out and he referred us to an orthopedic surgeon at a children's hospital 3 hours away.   We had our first appointment with the orthopedic surgeon at the end of July and sure enough he diagnosed her with left hip dysplasia.  He assured us it was a common thing and can be treated.  The first step in our treatment plan was a Pavlik Harness.          This is the actual picture shown on the packaging of the harness.  Me and my husband thought "well that baby is happy, it can't be that bad"...wrong!  The nurse put it on her and she screamed her head off the whole way through!  Then they decided that one was too small and took it off and put a bigger one on her.  Oh, it was terrible she was screaming, I was crying.  The doctor and nurse kept telling me that it wasn't hurting ...