Skip to main content

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact.

This is what one study showed, conducted by Phillipa Lally, and published in the European Journal of Social Psychology.  

The study also says that it greatly depends on the person (of course), the circumstances, and the behavior.  

Habit: A settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.

I have been making exercise a habit since March, earlier this year.  A habit, as in at least 5 times a week, during one program 6 days.  I think the longest I have taken a break in the last 8 months was a week or two, cause hey, life happens.  It has improved every aspect in my life physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I used to be that coworker that would fall asleep at her desk.  Seriously, I felt like I was back in high school in biology class, which I had right after lunch, with the monotone teacher (sorry Mr. Clark).  You know the feeling when you just cannot stay awake for the life of you.  That was me.  Until I made exercise part of my daily routine.

I know, "I do not have time to exercise 5 days a week or even 4, this woman must not have kids."  Well I do, in case you haven't read back a few years.  I also have a full time job and cook at home just about every single night.  When you practice something over and over,  consistently, it's AMAZING how well versed you will become in making everything else fall into place around it.

Let's take cooking for an example.  You have a new recipe.  You try it and after you finish you think, "if I would have done _____ it would have been easier".  So the next time you make that recipe again you find it easier, maybe it even tastes a little better, and after a few more tries you find it's not a pain in the butt to make anymore.  It's really not rocket science.  It's called excuses and there shouldn't be any excuse when it comes to taking care of yourself.

I have also heard to not take off more than 3 days consecutively.  I can see some truth in this.  When I take a few days off I get grouchy and moody.  And then I'll start feeling that I don't even want to workout when before I looked forward to it.  This is when I fall into a week going by without working out.  Then I think "What am I doing??!! I have worked so hard to make this a lifestyle and work it into my daily routine to just quit?!"  Heck no, I finally tell myself and get back to it. 

Another article on "The Daily Burn" website stated that just after 14 days of "easing up on your workouts" you can begin to lose muscle mass and cardiovascular endurance.  Keep that in mind when you're not pushing or starting to slack on yourself. 

If you're trying to get into a routine or feel like you're slacking, please keep at it.  We all have the same amount of time it's just how each of us utilize it.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy does it

I'm all about simple these days.  And leftovers! This meal is both.  Took about 20 minutes prep time and you could eat it then or make it in the morning, like I did, to reheat later that evening for dinner.  I think mine looks a little funny, maybe cause I used the different colored noodles, but it has all my kid's favorites like the spiral pasta and peas and carrots. And it is good! Meat, veggies, pasta all in one dish.  Add some Italian or garlic bread and you have dinner! Oh, and did I mention it is a great meal on a budget?! Pasta and Ham Primavera Recipe 8 oz rotini 1 lb frozen vegetables (I used peas and carrots) 1 1/3 cup diced ham 2 cloves garlic 1 jar Alfredo sauce Cook pasta according to package, add frozen veggies during last 2 minutes.  Drain.  Cook ham and garlic 2-3 minutes.  Add sauce, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Bring to a boil, stir in pasta mixture, stirring until h...

I did something

A while back a coworker suggested to me that I give audiobooks a try.  I laughed under my breath and thought to myself "hard pass!".  I thought, "what's the point in LISTENING to a books? I want to READ books!".  That's what a book is!  A few weeks go by and she brings it up again, and this time sends me a sample.  While a lot of my coworkers have jumped on the audiobook bandwagon I just didn't see the point.  The way my attention span is I would end up having to listen to the same thing over and over to remember what I just heard in the first place, let alone comprehend the story.  Days went by and I finally gave in a listened to the audio sample.  While we don't exactly have the same taste in the book department, I had an idea.  What if I kept my entertaining books to the reading kind and gave motivational books a try in the audio world.  I downloaded the Libby app and searched my local library and found a book that I had been interest...

Anxiety

Two weeks from today I will be on the other side of my open heart surgery. I have moments of great excitement for the time to be here and then moments of shear fear of what could go wrong. I guess this is all normal for anyone facing a major surgery. I made the surgery date in early July and it feels like time is just moving at a snail's pace. I am looking forward to feeling better and being able to do things that I couldn't endure before. Maybe I'll be able to run? Maybe I'll be able to sit on the floor with my daughter without my legs falling asleep almost immediately. Maybe climbing a hill won't be so difficult and I won't have to stop every 10 feet to catch my breath. I keep telling myself if 18-month-old me can do it, 30-year-old me can do it.