Skip to main content

Final meeting with surgeon

On Thursday we met with my surgeon for the last time before the day of the surgery. I am terrible at asking questions. I always forget them during the visit and remember them after I have left the office. So, for the past couple of weeks I had made little notes on my phone with the "notes" app. My phone goes with me everywhere, so every time I would think of a question I would just whip my phone out and type it up and save it. I had about four questions. Yes, for the past few weeks that I had known of this appointment and this being one heck of a serious surgery I had thought of four whole questions. And they were all answered in a whopping five minutes. I thought they were pretty good, too. Thought they sounded pretty knowledgeable. Like:

  • "Will this surgery ease the workload my liver has taken on" (Yes).
  • "Will a wire closure for the sternum be used" (Yes, stainless steel wire closure, that will remain in the sternum).
  • "Will my daughter be able to see me while I'm in the hospital" (Not while in the ICU, but when I'm moved to the regular cardiac floor).
  • "How long will the drainage tubes remain in" (For a couple days depending on how long they are needed).

My questions seemed so minute after he squashed them so quickly. But, at least they all got answered, right? He shook our hands and said if we thought of any other questions for me to call the office and he would be glad to talk to us and if not we would see him the day of the surgery. By the way, have you ever shaken the hand of a surgeon? It was so soft and delicate. I guess he needs to take care of them, they are his money makers. For a few moments after that the condition of his hands were all I could think about. Those hands that were actually going to touch my heart in a matter of days! So weird to think about! After he left the room I actually turned to Chris and asked him if he had noticed how soft his hands were. 

If that wasn't enough to make the reality of surgery start setting in, the events that took place next were. Paperwork. Which was actually a relief, because signing paperwork lying in a hospital bed minutes before they wheel you back is not really ideal in my mind. (The last few procedures I've had done went just like that.) I guess with major surgeries they take pity on your nerves. 

We went through the list of do's and don'ts and were given a date and instructions for my pre-op testing. For now, I'll keep thinking of those questions. And I can guarantee he be getting a phone call...or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy does it

I'm all about simple these days.  And leftovers! This meal is both.  Took about 20 minutes prep time and you could eat it then or make it in the morning, like I did, to reheat later that evening for dinner.  I think mine looks a little funny, maybe cause I used the different colored noodles, but it has all my kid's favorites like the spiral pasta and peas and carrots. And it is good! Meat, veggies, pasta all in one dish.  Add some Italian or garlic bread and you have dinner! Oh, and did I mention it is a great meal on a budget?! Pasta and Ham Primavera Recipe 8 oz rotini 1 lb frozen vegetables (I used peas and carrots) 1 1/3 cup diced ham 2 cloves garlic 1 jar Alfredo sauce Cook pasta according to package, add frozen veggies during last 2 minutes.  Drain.  Cook ham and garlic 2-3 minutes.  Add sauce, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Bring to a boil, stir in pasta mixture, stirring until h...

Warning...this could get messy

So, this is pretty much a rant and I apologize ahead of time for this, but sometimes you just have to get it off your chest. There is a girl at work that every time I mention about something aching or happening to me that I link to my pregnancy she insists that it's not related to my pregnancy. What the heck? She has no idea what is going on with my body! I'll just give an example from this morning. When I woke up my side hut, my lower side. So, when she asked me what was wrong today I told her my side hurt. She's like "from what?" and I said, "probably from me getting fatter". Now, before I tell you what she said, let me back up my theory of why I thought this was the reason for my side hurting. I read on one of my MANY pregnancy info sites that one of the symptoms I could be having is my side hurting from stretching, growing, ya know. Well, she says "I highly doubt that." I could understand if this girl that I work with has never been pregnan...

11 days

As the year mark inches closer I find myself thinking about the night that I went to the hospital. I find myself thinking about the moment she was born. I find myself thinking about the moment the doctors told me there was no hope. I remember when my OB told me that she was coming and I just looked at my husband who was just looking back at me. I was totally frozen. I don't know if I was in shock or if it was from the pain medication that was flowing through my system. All I knew, was that it was too soon. I remember them telling me that she was measuring smaller than what they originally thought she was. They told us that we had a choice. A choice to hold our daughter while she left this world or they could transfer her an hour away to another hospital. But, they did not believe she would survive the ambulance ride. I was frozen. We sent her an hour away. My husband went along and I stayed admitted into the hospital. Somebody who is reading this right now is probably thinking, ...