Skip to main content

Final meeting with surgeon

On Thursday we met with my surgeon for the last time before the day of the surgery. I am terrible at asking questions. I always forget them during the visit and remember them after I have left the office. So, for the past couple of weeks I had made little notes on my phone with the "notes" app. My phone goes with me everywhere, so every time I would think of a question I would just whip my phone out and type it up and save it. I had about four questions. Yes, for the past few weeks that I had known of this appointment and this being one heck of a serious surgery I had thought of four whole questions. And they were all answered in a whopping five minutes. I thought they were pretty good, too. Thought they sounded pretty knowledgeable. Like:

  • "Will this surgery ease the workload my liver has taken on" (Yes).
  • "Will a wire closure for the sternum be used" (Yes, stainless steel wire closure, that will remain in the sternum).
  • "Will my daughter be able to see me while I'm in the hospital" (Not while in the ICU, but when I'm moved to the regular cardiac floor).
  • "How long will the drainage tubes remain in" (For a couple days depending on how long they are needed).

My questions seemed so minute after he squashed them so quickly. But, at least they all got answered, right? He shook our hands and said if we thought of any other questions for me to call the office and he would be glad to talk to us and if not we would see him the day of the surgery. By the way, have you ever shaken the hand of a surgeon? It was so soft and delicate. I guess he needs to take care of them, they are his money makers. For a few moments after that the condition of his hands were all I could think about. Those hands that were actually going to touch my heart in a matter of days! So weird to think about! After he left the room I actually turned to Chris and asked him if he had noticed how soft his hands were. 

If that wasn't enough to make the reality of surgery start setting in, the events that took place next were. Paperwork. Which was actually a relief, because signing paperwork lying in a hospital bed minutes before they wheel you back is not really ideal in my mind. (The last few procedures I've had done went just like that.) I guess with major surgeries they take pity on your nerves. 

We went through the list of do's and don'ts and were given a date and instructions for my pre-op testing. For now, I'll keep thinking of those questions. And I can guarantee he be getting a phone call...or two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pills...pills...more pills?!

As I mentioned a while back, I went to the OB/GYN doctor on the fourth of August. He ran some blood work to see my progesterone , FSH and LH levels.They all came back showing the classic signs of PCOS . But, I have a great doctor and he is determined to get me ovulating regularly. He says I obviously don't have a problem getting pregnant, since I've been there twice before, it's just my ovulation is out of whack. Yes, I said twice before. In February we found out that I was pregnant again, four days later I lost it. I was only five weeks along. We didn't tell our families just a few close friends. Anyway, after the test results came back my doctor started me on Metformin . I've heard of women with PCOS taking this because of insulin resistance and it helps them to regulate, but he told me that it would help decrease the risk of a miscarriage. So I started that on the eleventh. Aunt flow decided not to show up this month so he prescribed me Prometrium (progesteron

11 days

As the year mark inches closer I find myself thinking about the night that I went to the hospital. I find myself thinking about the moment she was born. I find myself thinking about the moment the doctors told me there was no hope. I remember when my OB told me that she was coming and I just looked at my husband who was just looking back at me. I was totally frozen. I don't know if I was in shock or if it was from the pain medication that was flowing through my system. All I knew, was that it was too soon. I remember them telling me that she was measuring smaller than what they originally thought she was. They told us that we had a choice. A choice to hold our daughter while she left this world or they could transfer her an hour away to another hospital. But, they did not believe she would survive the ambulance ride. I was frozen. We sent her an hour away. My husband went along and I stayed admitted into the hospital. Somebody who is reading this right now is probably thinking, &qu

Recommended sleep time for a pregnant woman is???

So, I fell asleep at my desk at work today. I was so stinking tired after lunch that I just thought I would lay my head down for a few minutes and close my eyes for just a second and I just kept nodding off! Thank goodness everyone knows I'm pregnant or they would think I needed more sleep. I went to bed at 9 o'clock last night! There should be some kind of rule enforced about nap time after lunch, especially for pregnant women. Like kindergarten...when you refused to sleep! Now, I would give up an hour of pay to have that back! I also sneaked down to the radiology department early this morning to have one of the techs peek at my little baby. I work at a hospital and they all know what I've been through, so the girl that was down there didn't hesitate when I asked. Even though I just had an ultrasound on Tuesday. Anyway, baby was there and bouncing around with a strong heartbeat at 183! I'm going to keep my freak outs to a minimum and try not to bug them too muc